Wednesday 25 April 2012

Surprise Surprise!

I was sitting in my office, at my desk quietly doing my work. Just like everyone around me I was glued to my laptop screen except that I was the only one sending emails to Builders and Developers regarding a special issue on real estate in a popular magazine. "It has to be crisp and concise", I repeated in my head, courtesy to all my English teachers who had drilled it in so well.  After all it is my job to bring in business. I sit with the animation team in their studio. So while they are all deeply engrossed in getting 'lines to life', I do research on all the famous Builders and Developers to get their contact details and the name of their MD.

To,
The Managing Director
ABC Developers
Bangalore

Dear Sir/Ma'am

This is regarding a special issue on real estates in XXX, a global Indian lifestyle magazine. All the necessary details regarding the same are enclosed in the attachment. Hoping for a favorable response from your end.
Thank You
Yours Sincerely
Alisha Parekh
Contact No: 9876543210
So-n-So Advertising Pvt Ltd

That should do I thought. I read it one's more making sure there were no errors. It does appear crisp and to the point. I clicked on send and the email was gone. Now was the difficult part-waiting for a reply! No wait I got one! That was really quick. I clicked on it with all the excitement that was building in me ever since I started working. It was after all my first official reply! I clicked on it and all my excitement flushed out. "Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently.", I read to myself. But how!?! I took it from the company's official website. This was ridiculous. I crossed checked the email address and re-sent the mail. Yet again the same message flashed on my screen. I sighed with disappointment. I proceeded to the next name on my list and to my horror that failed too. I tried the same with the next name hoping for some good result. But that failed too! "That's it. I need a break", I thought to myself. I got up and decided to go for a walk. It was hot outside. The noon sun was at its best making it necessary to stay indoors. So I changed my mind and got back to work and continued my search for Real Estate Companies. About ten minutes later someone opened the door to go out, letting the outside air to fill up the room. It wasn't hot and dry as I had expected, but was damp and strong scented. It was a familiar one, the smell. I had known it since childhood. I had waited for it year after year. I got up and rushed to the door. I could hear it now. It was loud and soothing. I opened the door and warm humid winds brushed my face. It was raining! I could feel the smell of wet mud in my mouth. I took deep breaths and let the fresh air fill me up. I noticed that many like me had rushed out of their offices with disbelief on their faces, to witness the artistry of nature! Now this is why I love Bangalore, the city of surprises! 

2 comments:

  1. Yess..! Bangalore....beauty and the beast at the same time!! I saw a rainbow too today...and surprisingly it was so clear...all the colours, i tell you...actually made me blush!! :P ;)Anyway, Nicely written Ali..! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so so so agree to u sez... Beauty and the beast at the same time! I felt the same when I felt the rain... got wet after such a long time...it felt beautiful..like falling in love...every drop that fell on me was like a kiss...making me blush... making me smile..!

    ReplyDelete